Friday, December 25, 2009

Gifts That Give Back!


My family is slowly beginning to understand my desire to be a socially conscious consumer and it shows in the gifts I received this year!

I'm a gadget geek and the number one gift on my list this year was an iPod touch.  Not only do I love Apple's intuitive designs and cutting edge technology, but I wholly support their mission to report the environmental impact of their products in a comprehensive manner. I can easily pull up the CO2 emissions created in the manufacture of my iPod and offset accordingly. My iPod is highly recyclable when it reaches it's end of life, has a mercury free display, is PVC free and is made with power-efficient components.  On top of all that, my family gave me a Novothink Surge hybrid solar charger. Not only are these great gadgets, but they reflect a definite focus on respecting the environment on behalf of Apple and Novothink.

Another socially responsible gadget I received this year was a teeny tiny camcorder.  Not only is the Flip Mino HD a hip little gadget, but they have this amazing program called "Flip for Good".  In conjunction with Cafe Press, they've created a crazy variety of designs that can be printed on your Flip in order to support one of 17 different non-profit charities. A portion of the proceeds from my flip ($10USD) will support "Go Campaign" work for orphaned and vulnerable children around the world. Now THAT is something I can really feel good about.

It's easy to find socially responsible and earth friendly gifts that your family will love.  Every choice we make can have a positive impact.

Would you like to share your story about a socially responsible gift you gave or recieved this year? I'd love to hear from you.  Please leave a comment below or connect with us on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Posting spam or other comments that are unrelated to this article will cause your comment to be flagged for deletion and possibly cause your IP address to be permanently banned from this server.